Ministering - Introduction, Month 1

Introduction: 
I know the RS email said our lesson was going to be on the Sabbath Day, but the new topic we've been given until the next Gen Conf is “Ministering”. I had every intention of just diving full steam into that until I awoke to the thunder this morning. 

Whenever I hear thunder, I hear it as the voice of God. For me, it's like, when the sun is shining He gives me the whole beautiful world hoping I'll see His hand daily in the silent sunrise and sunset, but every once in awhile He actually lets me hear His voice in the rolling thunder so I have no choice but to acknowledge His power and glory and presence.

So I'm laying in bed, thinking about this hour and I have these thoughts come into my head. As I wrote them down, I found it easiest to express them as if the Heavenly Father was speaking directly to me...He said:

"You need to spend a few minutes reviewing the importance of the Sabbath Day with your sisters. Remind them that I asked them, through my mouth-piece, Pres. Thomas. S. Monson, to increase their faith by more fully honoring my Holy Sabbath Day. Remind them, that I've given them this specific focus for 3 years, hoping they would take it seriously and really learn, and change in their hearts, and grow in their faith. Ask them if they can say that their faith has increased. Tell them they can know if it has increased by how much they have sacrificed. Remind them that another word for Faith IS Sacrifice. 

Testify to them how your own faith has increased and what sacrifices you have made to strengthen your faith. Witness to them, that I have given you a new heart about the Sabbath Day. Teach them, that the heart is where their beliefs are held, and that to have a new heart is to give up old beliefs and replace them with new ones. Tell them how you replaced your old belief that outside of going to church and partaking of the Sacrament, that the most important thing to Me was that you spent it with family, for the new belief that the entire day is My day and that my greatest desire is that you focus on Me, sometimes alone and sometimes with your family, but always centered on Me. 

Tell them how that took faith and sacrifice when you invited your children to come to celebrate the Sabbath when the rest of the world was celebrating the Super Bowl, how you were afraid that they might not come, or that they might judge you as being self-righteous or as judging them, or how you were afraid they might come and then not honor your request, but how you exercised your faith by letting go of the fears. How they came, all of them, and no one even brought it up. Tell them how it took faith to pray to know how to invite conversation centered around the things of God and not of the world. 

Testify to them that you understand that really honoring My Holy Day is more important than they may realize. Remind them that they live in a covenant land and that I have taught them repeatedly that whoever lives in this land must worship Me or be swept off. All those who live in this land are under this covenant and I will hold them accountable, but I hold my children, who have made covenants with me, especially accountable. If they honor me, I will honor them in times of peace and in times of trouble. But I have warned them that if they are slow to hear my voice, then in their day of want I will be slow to hear their cries. 

Above all, tell them that I love them more than they can possibly know, and that I just want them to love me too. They do that by choosing Me. First. And always. I am now asking them, through my mouth piece, Pres. Russell M. Nelson, to take that love for Me and My Son and to now go minister to others, that they may also know of My love for them and grow in their faith and desire to more fully come unto Christ. Share Sis. Nelson's witness that her husband truly IS my prophet so that the sisters may know that it is I, that am asking them to minister in this higher and holier way... not the church, or even the prophet. It is Me."

So I will now share with you the testimony of Sister Nelson shared in Hawaii at the conclusion of their world wide ministering tour in April and then we'll being our study of Ministering together, with a prayer that our faith will be strengthened as we act in faith on this charge from our Father in Heaven.

"Some of you might want to know what it has been like in our home since my husband was called by the Lord to be the president of His church. At 11:01 p.m. on Tuesday, January 2nd, we received a phone call telling us of the passing of President Thomas S. Monson. After we talked together for awhile and made a few phone calls, we turned out the lights. As I stared out into the dark of that night, and into the future, the hymn that came to my mind was Where Can I Turn for Peace?. And I have to confess that as I went through the words of that hymn, just for a few minutes I got hung up on the line, "Where can I run?". It's true. I have great empathy for Jonah. But then we carried on day after day, seeking tutoring from the Lord and receiving His help. Three months later on March 31st, at the Saturday morning session, I wondered just how I would feel gathered with 21,000 people in the Conference Center for the Solemn Assembly where my husband would be sustained as president of the church. I was prepared to feel a little anxious, but instead I felt something I never expected to feel, and that was an overwhelming feeling of peace, a peace that surpassed all understanding. I experienced the promise of the Savior when He said, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you." It was a feeling that was not of this world. Now there's an old saying that the wife is the last to know. Well, in the case of my husband becoming the Lord's prophet to the world, I will be eternally grateful that the Lord intervened so that I was not the last to know. Two days after President Monson departed from this mortal life, the Lord gave me a most unique, most distinctive experience, with my husband, to let me know that the mantle of prophet was upon him. It was a never-to-be-forgotten experience. It was so vivid, so clear, so real. Every detail of that remarkable experience is engraven upon the fleshy tables of my heart, and seared into my memory forever. And then, two days later, the Lord gave me that exact same experience once again. That experience, repeated twice, is too sacred for me to share over the pulpit, but it is one that I can never forget or deny. Because of that sacred experience, I can take any witness stand in any nation on earth, and testify that I know that President Russell Marion Nelson has been called by God to be the living prophet of the Lord on the earth today.

During our twelve years of marriage I have become accustomed to my husband being awakened during the night with ideas for and refinements to General Conference talks, but since becoming president of the church, the frequency and abundance of the messages to him from Heaven have increased exponentially. My husband writes those thoughts on a lined yellow pad of paper kept in a drawer by his side of the bed. Those are private messages to him, so I am very careful to never read them. Sometimes the Lord lets me stay close to my husband while he is receiving instructions. Just the other night my husband said, "Okay dear, it's happening." I was quiet, and he was soon writing notes. However, on one very early Saturday morning in January, I was awakened earlier than I wanted to be awake, and I could feel I was to get out of bed. I was not finished sleeping, but I could feel the prompting. I could feel the prompting to move out of bed NOW. I left our bedroom, and worked on several projects in other rooms in our home. Two hours later my husband emerged from our bedroom and said, "Wendy, you won't believe what has been happening for the past two hours since you left. The Lord gave me detailed instructions about a process I am to follow." And follow, he did. So I am a witness by being present, and I am a witness by being absent, that the Lord indeed instructs His prophet. In the last 3 1/2 months it has been quite an experience to send my husband off to work, because many days, at the end of a rigorous day for him of meetings and decisions at headquarters, the man I greet at the end of the day is just a little different from the man I kissed goodbye in the morning. I can't really articulate what those differences are. I can only tell you that at age 93 1/2, my husband is becoming more and more of his true self every day, and why wouldn't he be? He is now doing what he was foreordained to do. As a side note, let me just add that on this world tour, I have seen him change right at the pulpit. I have heard him become more clear in professing certain doctrine, to use phrases I've never heard him use in twelve years. I've seen him even look younger, right at the pulpit, on the spot, when delivering a message.

Now you and I know that before the foundations of this earth, my husband was foreordained to be the prophet of the Lord at this precise time on the earth. I would like to read one paragraph of what Elder Bruce R. McConkie, a departed member of the Quorum of the Twelve, said about President Spencer W. Kimball, the Lord's twelfth prophet of this dispensation, when President Kimball was called to be the prophet. I will insert my husband's name. So these are the words Elder McConkie would say of my husband's life pre-mortally. These words take my breath away because I know that they are true.

"Pre-mortally, [Russell Marion Nelson] knew and worshiped the Lord Jehovah. [Russell Marion Nelson] was a friend of Adam and Enoch. He took counsel from Noah and Abraham. He sat in meetings with Isaiah and Nephi. [Russell Marion Nelson] served in the heavenly kingdom with Joseph Smith and Brigham Young."

My dear brothers and sisters, this is indeed the Lord's church. My husband was foreordained to be the Lord's prophet on the earth today to help gather Israel on both sides of the veil, and to prepare the church and the world for the Second Coming of our Savior Jesus Christ. And, my dear brothers and sisters, you and I also lived premortally with our Heavenly Parents and our Savior. We fought in that war of words in Heaven, which continues on earth right today. Pre-mortally, you and I stood by Jesus Christ. We also covenanted with our Heavenly Father to accomplish certain assignments while we are here on earth. We also covenanted to help gather Israel and to prepare ourselves, our family members, and the world, for the Second Coming of the Savior. Nothing is more important than fulfilling our pre-mortal covenants, and nothing is more important than keeping our mortal covenants with God. I pray that you and I will seek to draw upon our pre-mortal valor, to draw closer to the Lord than we ever have in our lives, and as we follow the Lord's prophet today, President Russell Marion Nelson.

In the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

So, sisters, as we talk about ministering, I testify that this is not a “program” designed by the church . It's God's plan for our sanctification and progression individually and as a people as we prepare for the return of His Son and the prophesied events that stand between now and that Great Day.
We must always begin with the end in mind. Here is our vision for ministering efforts.  (Begin at 12:46)


Notice the words " a great change; coming miracle through our ministering; little acts; inspired adjustment; new era of ministering; important adjustment in the way we care; holier way; message to both sides of the veil - come unto Christ, temple, joy, eternal life

We are being invited to participate in this "important adjustment; this great change of heart; this coming miracle" - as together, we learn what it means to minister in higher and "holier ways".

Today we'll begin our discovery of what the scriptures teach us about ministering.

As you read the following scriptures, look for words or phrases that you would associate with ministering and decide if they would be identified with temporal ministering, spiritual ministering, or both. (Identified by T, S or B)

Matthew 25:34–40; (feed - T, visit - B, clothe - T )
34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I w]as a stranger, and ye took me in:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
  • What does this parable teach about how we should see those we minister to? (as the Savior himself)
  • If they didn't even know that their ministering was being received as if it was to the Savior, hence not out of conscious recognition (like the goats said they would have done) why did they do it? (They truly loved others)
Luke 10:25-37(compassion-B, action-B, sharing-T, selfless-B, sacrifice-B, generous-B, helping-B, healing -B, mercy-B)

25 ¶ And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do toinherit eternal life?26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.29 But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?30 And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,34 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.35 And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.
  • Who is Jesus ministering to in this passage? (The lawyer)
  • What was this man's intention? (to tempt Christ)
  • How did Christ respond? (turned him to the scriptures)
  • Why did He turn him to the word of God first? (Man accepted them, common ground, can't argue with)
  • In the story notice 3 men happened upon the opportunity to minister “by chance”; How does that apply to our ministering today? (many opportunities may not be planned)
  • All three men saw the man on the ground. What does it say was the difference with the samaritan? (He felt compassion - not enough to just “see” a need, we must next “feel compassion” before we are moved to “act”;)
  • How does it say the Samaritan sacrifice for the man he cared for - (stayed the first night with him, clearly adjusting his plans to aid the stranger he saw as his neighbor; used own wine, oil had own need for;)
  • How did the Samaritan extend the blessing of ministering to others? (invited another to assist in ministering and followed up with him;)
  • What was the Savior's final invitation to the Lawyer – (Go and do thou likewise - obedience)
    2 Nephi 25:26; (testify-S, praise-S, teach-S, write-S, build faith-S)

    26 
    And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins.


  • What does this verse teach us about ministering? (lives centered on Christ reflected in words, thoughts, feelings, ministering. Love for Savior because of his Atonement for our sins motivates us to help others come to that same love because of it's influence on our thoughts, actions, attitudes behaviors.
    Mosiah 18:8–9 (desire- S, zion-S, willing-S, comfort-B, empathy-S, example-B)
    And it came to pass that he said unto them: Behold, here are the waters of Mormon (for thus were they called) and now, as ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life

  • what is the first characteristic listed in this scripture? (desire)
  • what will the Lord call us if we minister in His way? (his people, zion)
  • why do we minister? (because we desire eternal life for ourselves and all God's children)

    3 Nephi 18:25; (receives all, experiential, resists temptation)

    25 And ye see that I have commanded that none of you should go away, but rather have commanded that ye should come unto me, that ye might feel and see; even so shall ye do unto the world; and whosoever breaketh this commandment suffereth himself to be led into temptation.
  • Who are we being asked to minister to? (those assigned to , family, friends, and all God's children “come upon by chance”)
  • Where should our ministering lead people to? (Christ )
  • How do the words “that ye might feel and see” apply to ministering? (want people to know for self, experience God's love through you)
  • What blessing are we told we'll be given by ministering ? (resist temptation)
    Doctrine and Covenants 81:5.  (faithful-S, succor-B means "help, relief, aid, assistance", lifts-B, strengthens-S )
    Wherefore, be faithful; stand in the office which I have appointed unto you; succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble 
    knees.
  • What is your “office” with regards to ministering? (ministering sister, mother, sister, wife, friend)
  • How do these scriptures shed light on what it means to minister in higher and holier ways? (not less but more, vision not just visit)
  • How will ministering in the Lord's way build your faith (because it will take sacrifice, spiritual work to receive revelation and act on it, might ask for my time, money, attention)
  • Can you see how ministering in these ways can bring others closer to Christ and how keeping the Lord's objective in mind influence how you minister?

Let's review why we are being asked to minister in the Lord's way – 




The invitation for the month is to read 3rd Nephi and circle any references to ministering in any form and the phrases “one by one” to learn what the Book of Mormon teaches about ministering. Pray to know how ministering applies to all and how to implement it with power. 



I'd like to leave you with a quote by Pres. Nelson. This quote is a  combination of two quotes - one from before he was prophet and one from after-

“...
we need women who know how to make important things happen by their faith ... We need women who are devoted to shepherding God’s children along the covenant path toward exaltation; women who know how to receive personal revelation, who understand the power and peace of the temple endowment; women who know how to call upon the powers of heaven to protect and strengthen children and families; (and he added in April,) know how to call upon the powers of heaven to protect and strengthen their husbands, their children, and others they love ... These are spiritually strong women who lead, teach, and minister fearlessly in their callings with the power and authority of God!1 How thankful I am for them!

Remember the quote I shared the first lesson we had on the Sabbath Day?

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea." - Atoine de Saint-Exupery

My re-wording of that quote for our new, higher, holier way of ministering is:

"If you want someone to become like the Savior, don't give them programs and procedures and endless lists of things to do, but rather, teach them to long for the endless joy of eternal life with their Father in Heaven, His Son, Jesus Christ, and their family and loved ones."

May we accept the invitation to move to higher ground where there will be safety and peace and joy, is my humble prayer, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Comments

  1. Thank you for your great lesson and thoughts. What is the reference for Sister Wendy Watson Nelson's quote about what it has been like in their home since President Nelson has become the prophet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quote by Sister Nelson was transcribed from a video of her talk that was available for a short time. The same testimony is referenced here:

      https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/church/news/sister-wendy-nelson-shares-her-personal-witness-of-president-nelsons-prophetic-calling-and-ministry?lang=eng

      and I believe it is also found in her new book "The Heavens Are Open", but I can't find my copy to check if it's word for word as quoted above.

      Delete

Post a Comment